Sweetgrass is one of the main herbs used by Native people. It is often part of the medicine used when smudging along with sage and cedar. Just as sage is used to clear negativity, to cleanse, sweetgrass is used to bring positivity. At It can be used to cleanse ourselves and to bring back positivity and calm.
It is believed to please everybody, so when you burn sweetgrass, you may also want to burn some sage to get rid of more negative influences.
How to light your braid of sweetgrass:
- Cut off the end of the braid. You want to cut off the end that is a little more dried out and has less green in it.
- Please place the cut off end somewhere outside, don't just throw it away (its a special plant).
- Light the cut end of the braid by holding it in the flame and gently rotating the braid.
- Blow on the lit end.
- Gently shake the braid around your area.
- The braid will burn by producing smoke, there should be no flame.
To put it out:
- Stamp it against the side of your non-flammable container